Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Can You Be "Trikke Proud?"



Conditioning rides in public spaces can be quite distracting because you get the gamut of reactions of people who have never seen a Trikke in person. It can be quite fun! My conditioning ride for today involved loops around my neighborhood park’s walking path. The path encircles the community ball park and there are lots of walkers, runners, families, and playground activity ripe for the good ole “what is that?” For the uninitiated, you have to be “Trikke Proud” and enjoy their curiosity and disbelief as you move around the loops, faster than walkers, faster than many joggers --yet seemingly with no visible mechanism of motion.

People love the swerve that is the signature trikke movement. When they see it coming, it brings a smile to their face! As I climbed the deep incline at the back of the loop, it became clear to many that the mechanism of movement could surely be described as conditioning, technique and heart. I never attempt inclines until I’m warmed up, (20-30 minutes in) so it’s often the case that I look very much at ease by an hour or so in, which doesn’t make sense to many. How could I be breathing so easily climbing an incline on that crazy thing? For many, this is an altering view. They gain a new respect for the swerve, and for the Trikke. They see the workout and realize just how deep and beautifully full bodied this workout can be. A woman said. “That is so cool. What are you training for?” “Life,” I say. It’s a beautiful thing -being Trikke Proud.

No comments: