Sunday, September 14, 2008

Trikking Up and Down "Tobacco Road"



Excellent Level 2 ride today at the American Tobacco Trail in Durham. In addition to being a Trikke Fitness Trikker I am also a Trikke Rider of the Carolinas and they sponsored a Level 2-3 ride today. I can never get enough rides! The first batch of riders planned a 14-mile ride and left about 30 minutes before those of us who chose the 7-mile option. So, it was Rochelle, Ken, and I making our way up the first leg of 3.5 miles to the turn around. Rochelle was being an Iron Woman, trikking the distance with an injured foot but a very strong heart. She continued to be a great ambassador for Trikke Fitness, stopping and letting some passing folks hop on the T78 Deluxe. There were a few inclines here; the first was pretty ugly for me because I hadn’t warmed up at all. By the second incline, I was feeling great and pushed past Ken with a yell of, “getting my second wind…..whoo hoooooooo!” Alas, he caught me at an intersection and for the last run near the 3-mile mark we were pushing and surging. He pressed ahead and I couldn’t catch him no matter how much I hollered at him and he won the leg!

The ride was great for incline climbing technique. Perhaps when I have more energy I’ll tackle steeper inclines like the 14 mile group did, but I was a little peaked from a hard week of riding. I found the hill climbing “sweet spot” several times by “punching “ with my right arm/shoulder about 5 times to get the carving momentum up to speed to be able to get into my lean. I find it best to describe my technique of incline climbing like when you stand on a bike and peddle your way up a hill. For me, this leg stepping motion along with the lean and roll gets me up inclines. I think everybody has his or her best way. That’s mine for now. I tried not to get off the trikke and walk often. When I do, I call it a “Take 50” No more than 50 steps before getting back on wherever I am---so I chose those moments carefully! On the way up I think I took 50 twice. I really worked hard on grinding upwards.

On the way down I relaxed, took a few short walk moments (maybe a “take 20” or two ) and worked on speed techniques. I’ve found that a forward follow through alternating “kicking” motion helps the speed pick up with little exertion. We all finished with Ken pulling away and finishing strong! We were at 45 minutes up and about 30-38 minutes back. Can you believe he’s only had his Trikke a week!!!???

Trikking is a wonderful thing. It’s a centered and focused connection with your body, as you really must get in tune in order to propel yourself and find that synched motion that is just fantastic. The connection is wonderful from the work of inclines, to the smooth flow of gliding downhill, to speed work on flat surfaces. You feel invigorated, accomplished and worked out like nothing else!

No comments: