Thursday, April 30, 2009

Find New Proving Grounds

Water, a T12, and a Trail Map...All You Need!

Went out for another greenway ride this morning, which was very important to do after my near super duper wipe out the other day. Talked about it on Facebook and mentioned it on Twitter. It was pretty awesome and scary at the same time for me because I have never fallen. Nonetheless I was ready to get back out there. Took one day off to see if my muscles would revolt after all the twisting I did to maintain control of that near fall.

So, I'm out this morning and I decided to visit a trail I hadnt been to in many months. While there, I branched out further to previously uncharted spots on the length of it and happily discovered that it's really important to change where you ride! No matter what level you are, you've got to mix it up and challenge your body and mind! While I was quite pleased to head over hills that were difficult for me months ago, I also realized that it was great not to be familiar with every hill and valley that I encountered. For example, when I trikke the Tobacco Trail, I know it's going to be "this long" and the greatest work will come after "that turn," so I save my energy for that big ride on the way back. In this case, I just explored and let the trail try to beat me up!

Ok, it didnt kill me, but there were some challenging inclines in bunches that were difficult when they kept coming. I was a little peeved at myself. I was worn out after several hills, and couldn't make one, so I punished myself by running up it with the Trikke. I have these little head games that I play. When I first started Trikking I would allow myself to walk no more than "50 steps" and had to start back Trikking after that break no matter where I was or how tired I felt. Now, it's "Trikke Sprints," where if I can't make a hill , I have to run straight up it full speed with the Trikke. You get your workout no matter what in my world!

Still, I have found a new proving ground, and I will return to this trail. I was smiling today, looking at the hills, and seeing them as a challenge that I would overcome. I'll work on this trail, and when I feel like the inclines are bumps in the road, I'll move on. One of our group members once said about his journey to get over inclines, "I'm trying to make the road flatter." Exactly the way to see them!

No comments: